Monday, December 5, 2011

On writing: Beginning a new novel

For about three weeks I've been making notes on the protagonist for my new novel. I started writing Saturday night. After a few beers...and a few glasses of wine...I opened another beer and suddenly I was typing full-out.

An hour and a half later I had the first three pages done...as well as a bunch of plot notes and even had the ending fully written out.

On Sunday, over coffee, I  read what I had written, expecting to begin deleting. Instead I really liked what I had down, and, besides [quite] a few typos, may have captured the feel I was going for. Even though it's early yet, Paul [the main character] is filling out nicely, and even with all of his predicted weaknesses and mishaps, seems to be someone I'm going to enjoy spending the next year or two with.  Probably over a few beers.

1 comment:

  1. Almost anyone is pleasant over a few beers.

    ReplyDelete