Thursday, December 1, 2011

On writing: The dreaded SYNOPSIS

The book's done. It's good; I'm really happy with it.

My query letter is written...not so good.. It needs work. An agent won't read my book if they aren't intrigued by the query. I'm trying...even getting some professional help. [Thanks Gary!]

Onto the synopsis. Somehow, I'm to put the main plot lines of the story into a  one or two page summary...keeping it interesting, hitting the key points and leaving out the mundane.

This is hell.

I  made progess on it tonight, but the professional procrastinator that I am, I made more progress on my notes for my next book...actually for my next protagonist. He's starting to really form for me, and what he's up against is no fun...especially with his limited skill set and built in weaknesses.

The thing is, I'm starting to love this guy, and, the story is beginning to form--organically [Thanks Beck!] ...without me forcing it.

And this is why I'm addicted to writing...I may even be getting better at it...[not counting tonight...I'm posting from an Irish Pub in Raleigh with internet access...]
Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment