Saturday, July 16, 2011

Writing and Reading

I read an article recently on the reading habits of writers. Without realizing it I've been following the trend: I read about a book a week, and usually in the genre that I write [except for me, I love literary fiction...but I'm not that good. If I'm lucky my books will get classified as "upmarket mainstream fiction" and if not then they will be simply called "commercial fiction."]

Reading reenergizes a writer. Getting lost in a great book replaces staring at a blank screen. But you're never that far from your own book. An idea pops into your head, or the solution to a scene you're struggling with comes to you while you're mowing the lawn.  Some of my favorite books that I've read and plan to read. By genre:

Amagansett   Historical Fiction: Amagansett, by Mark Mills. This book is in my top ten. I've read it three times and would also classify it as literary. The author's skill at description and character development is matched by the slow build of the murder mystery.
In the Garden of Beasts: Love,...To read: Historical Non-Fiction:In the Garden of Beasts, by Erik Larson. A true story about a new ambassador and his family struggling to understand Hitler's Germany. This author, who also wrote Devil in the White City tells true stories so well that they read like fiction.


In the Blue Light of African Dreams Literary Fiction: In The Blue Light of African Dreams, by Paul Watkins. I credit Paul Watkins for my love of literary fiction. Probably 20 years ago I found this book on the shelf at a library in Orlando, finished it that night, and then tracked down everything else he ever wrote. This book is an adventure set in World War II Africa.

A Death in Belmont Nonfiction, True Crime: A Death In Belmont, by Sebastian Junger. This book is scary true. Author Sebastian Junger [The Perfect Storm] tells of his childhood memories of the Boston Strangler.

House of Sand and Fog Literary Fiction: House of Sand and Fog, By Andre Dubus III. My father died a year and a half ago. As I walked to the bridge at the marsh to scatter his ashes, a beat up old volkswagon van pulled up, and Andre Dubus stepped out and joined us to pay his respects. This man is a hero to me and responsible for me believing I might be able to write. More on him in future blogs. House of Sand and Fog was nominated for three Academy Awards as a movie starring Ben Kingsley. It's riveting....but the book is better.

More book recommedations in future blogs. If you decide to read, or have read any of these, please leave comments. What are your favorite books? Genre?

2 comments:

  1. I was looking for a good read. Almost finished with Sarah's Key. Great book! Thanks for the suggestions! Loving the blog, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin,

    Sarah's Key is on my to read list. There was a great interview with her in the Wall Street Journal this week. She went years unable to get it published and almost gave up, then got it published in France where it sold millions. Maybe I'll move to Paris.

    ReplyDelete