Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Writing Minor Characters

In both of my books--in any book, I guess--there are many, sometimes scores of minor characters. They fill in the scene, serve a purpose to move the story along [in my books they often serve a beer to move the story along] and are generally kept under control. They know their lines, if they're lucky to get any, and they keep to the script...

I know this is a trend with me, and maybe it's just me, but in both of my books several minor characters have really tried to play a bigger role; speaking when they have no lines, walking into scenes they weren't meant to be in, etc.

That's okay, I think, I'll fix thier ass in the second draft.

Then my beta-readers get ahold of a draft, and instead of talking about the main character or the story line, they inevitably comment on this or that minor character [that didn't even exist before I started writing!] and how much they like them. How they make the book better, and how they hope the character plays a bigger role as the book goes on. All of my beta readers have done this. And usually with the same minor character.

Other--major--characters they shred with ease. Not likable, one-dimensional.  Where's this going  [you do realize I'm doing you a favor?]

 But, for some reason, there's an attachment to a minor character. And to be honest, I have it too.

In the second book, among others, it's Destina. Her real name is Tina, and she's a part-time bartender at the New Hampshire Inn Billy ends up at. However, her dancer name is Destiny, so Billy [who's wife is Tina] --who thought the topless bar was a sports bar [honest]-- blends it and calls her Destina. She's likable, funny and a bit dangerous for Billy, and for some reason I write her with ease.

So, instead of worrying that I need to get back on track, I try hard to just let the story go where it's headed, even when characters like Destina take it places I never thought of.

Editing update: just finished rewrite of chapter 11 out of 20 at Barnes & Noble [that other writer guy was there--he's always there...]: Full glass of cab as I start 12: hopefully Destina sticks to the original plot...

No comments:

Post a Comment