Friday, July 22, 2011

Writing Short Stories

The process I follow to write a novel has been very different from how I've written short stories. Every short story was written after waking up in the middle of the night, except for one, and that one was written in the waiting room at the hospital.

Where my books seem to come in fits and starts, the short stories seem to gush...I finish them in one sitting and can barely type as fast as I need to in order to get my thoughts down. And they haven't required much editing.

The Lobsterman is one example. I had been working on my first book, but woke up and wrote this story at 3 in the morning. I can't post it yet, as I have it submitted to The Lorian Hemingway Short Story Competition. They are expected to announce the winner next week in Key West--I'm not thinking I'll win, but an honorable mention would make my day...

...and help me when I get ready to query a novel again. Agents like to see publishing credits, even short stories or contests on submissions.It's a sign the writer is taking the craft seriously, and has been recognized for the effort.

I have three other stories out right now as well; hopefully I'll get an acceptance with one--you'll be the first to know. Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment