Sunday, October 30, 2011

On writing

There is so much advice out there on the internet for aspiring authors that, at times, it can be overwhelming. There are thousands of would-be-writers looking for the magic formula to get published.

I admit, I've read it all, sometimes late into the night; advice on genre, plot, voice and marketing your book. Recently I read a blog post, 'On Hope' by Natalie Whipple, who, after countless rejections and months of self-doubt, finally got published. Not to great sales or acclaim, but to the payoff and satisfaction of believing in her own writing. I wish her the best.

For me, it's been best to ignore the buzz and focus on my writing, and then the characters. I write best when I am alone, deep in my story; believing in the book, and knowing it's up to me to bring it together. If, at the end of the day, my story resonates, with people, it will do well; maybe even great. Imagine that.

No comments:

Post a Comment