Monday, October 3, 2011

The Writing Life: Jonathan Franzen

I just read how Jonathan Franzen [award winning author of Freedom] always starts with the character, and never the story.  Without realizing it, I've been doing the same thing. I've been working on a character for my next book--the main character, starting to get a sense of what he's like; even what he looks like. Still, I have no idea what this poor bastard will be up against; I just know it won't be pretty.

Franzen also said that he always writes a female character first, afraid that if he writes the male first, he'll be in danger of writing himself into the story...very interesting.

I tend to think more along the lines of another author [can't remember who...] that said all of his male characters are him, and none of them are.

Either way, I can't get going on the next one until I finish this one, which I just printed out for the first time. It's thick and heavy, and yes, it's sitting on a bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment