Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Writing Life: Quitting a book

As an aspiring author, I should be reading all styles of writing in fiction. And, I should finish every book I start. The reasoning: even books I don't enjoy can teach me something about the craft.

Here's the problem. Of the three books I started last week,I managed to plow through the first one, get half-way through the second before giving up, and abandoned the third on page 4. Each of these books are by author's who's acclaim I'd give my first born for [sorry Ash], and I've read every other book one of the authors wrote, and loved them.

So, if there's a lesson for me in this, I guess it's that there will be people that love my book and people that quit it on page 4...and everything in between. And now I know to be okay with it, either way .[Not a chance, actually; but it's the lesson for the day.]

No comments:

Post a Comment